Friday, February 13, 2015

Fifty Shades of Grey – The Movie Review

I read all three books and my anticipation for the movie was huge.  I had built it up to a point where I was almost scared to actually see the movie Fifty Shades of Grey.  I had fear that the big screen adaptation would fall short of the picture I painted for myself.  But, I pushed through and went to see the movie. 

Fifty Shades of Grey won’t be a fit for everyone.  It has a targeted audience and I believe that many people need to remember that variety in life is what makes it so grand.  My boyfriend will likely not see the movie and he didn’t read the books and that is okay.  I was only roped into the world for Christian Grey because I wanted to see what was behind the hype.  I fell into the books and couldn’t put them down.  It’s not about the raciness of the intimacy between a man and a woman, for me.  For me, I fell in love with the story.  I think in general you need to be a fan of the series to be a fan of the movie. 

I had huge doubts about the actors chosen to play the leading character – Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey.  When Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson were announced to be the actors behind the leading characters, I had huge concerns.  As soon as the story started to unfold, Dornan and Johnson had me hooked.  The deep stares of Dornan and the portrayal of such naivetés of Johnson fit perfectly into how I pictured.  Dakota Johnson blew me away.  She was on point. 

Walking into the theater, I wasn’t sure if this was going to be really R rated or not.  I was happy to see that the depiction of the Red Room of Pain was more artistic than I had feared.  Walking out of the theater I heard a female movie goer say, “I thought there would be more sex.”  So, if you are staying away because you think it will be raunchy, I think you will be pleasantly surprise.  To each their own. 

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment